November is a month of activity at Student Hubs. Our teams have been going back out into the community, engaging students in social action and empowering them to make a difference. With COP26 this month, it’s been even busier than usual – read on for a taste of what we have been up to this month.
Welcoming our new Alumni Ambassadors
Student Hubs welcomes 2 new Alumni Ambassadors to join our team: Callum Zorn-Singh and Felicity Silverthorne. Joining Aaron and Regina, our Alumni Ambassadors help us to celebrate and remain connected with old Hub volunteers, and continue to make our network strong. Each has a specific role to help us connect, and to welcome them to our ranks, we asked each ambassador for their film recommendations:
- Felicity, our new Events Ambassador from Southampton and Cambridge Hub, recommended Midnight Gospel which is an animated series following a spacecaster with a malfunctioning multiverse simulator.
- Callum, our local Hub Ambassador from Bristol Hub, recommended F1: Drive to Survive – a documentary around Formula One.
- Aaron is returning as a Fundraising Ambassador from our Winchester Hub volunteers and staff team. Aaron recommends Timeless, an American History Sci-Fi series.
- Regina, our Fundraising Ambassador and Bristol Hub alumni, recommends Luca, a new Disney film.
A Month of Sustainability
Over the course of November, Student Hubs ran a series of webinars and workshops around sustainability, with the aim to collect and engage student voices in sustainability and what they want to see happen to make a difference. We collected stories, ran a questionnaire, spoke about ecological grief amongst other things! In the coming months, we will be analyzing all the data we have collected to ensure that we, and the higher education sector, can support students to engage in climate action and sustainability. Thank you to everyone who contributed!
We also wanted to celebrate Cambridge Hub President and Engage for Change alumni, Rosa Prosser, for her work on sustainability and climate action. Whilst she was on an internship with Cambridge Zero, Rosa produced a documentary series showcasing current and future careers that will be critical to achieve net-zero by 2050. This incredible docu-series premiered at the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference! To watch her full series, head to the Cambridge Zero YouTube channel.
Cambridge Hub opens recruitment for a new Programmes Manager!
Cambridge Hub is recruiting for a Programmes Manager to join their team in January! This role will be responsible for some areas of the work of Student Hubs at the University of Cambridge, including their core programme, Engage for Change. This offers a chance for someone to lead on students’ development of environmental action and sustainability projects at the University of Cambridge. If you are interested in learning more about the role, and would like to apply, please check out our careers page. Deadline is 3rd January 2022.
In the Spotlight
This month we wanted to highlight Southampton Hub and their submission to Bright Network’s Community Outreach Award! The award aims to celebrate the society that has given back to their university and the wider community. Southampton Hub have banded together to celebrate their work throughout the year, and although they did not get into the next round, we wanted to celebrate their work here! They have done a fantastic job throughout a very challenging time, and you can watch their impact below.
What to Look Out For
- We want to hear from you. Whether you were part of a Hub committee, a regular volunteer or just on the periphery, we would love to hear your thoughts on our work and our potential direction for the future. If you have 10 minutes, please share your reflections via our strategy questionnaire for students and alumni.
- Our Winter Fundraiser is back! This year, we are celebrating 10 years of Schools Plus delivery, which has provided free tutoring support and activity clubs to young people in primary schools, secondary schools and colleges since 2011. To join in our one of our events, read our Winter Fundraiser blog! Or better yet, join us for 7 days of Orangemas starting on Monday!
- Detective Orange is back, this time with a very merry murder mystery. Join us via Zoom on 14 December from 7-8:30pm to crack the case of our victim, Ben Niza. Alternatively, you can buy the pack to complete in your own time. Whether you are a team of detectives or an solo investigator get your ticket on Eventbrite now!