Since 2009 Bristol Hub has been working with incredible students and our amazing local community to mainstream student social action. Our programmes empower students to engage with their local community and make change.
Volunteering gave me a deeper purpose to serve the community, which made me feel contented and most definitely had a positive impact on my focus and my determination to excel in my academics.
— Revina Celine Kaur Sidhu
We aim to support students to create positive social change in their communities. Over the past five years Bristol Hub has worked with
University of Bristol students
Our impact with the local community
In the local Bristol community we:
- Develop pupils’ subject understanding, confidence, resilience and motivation through Schools Plus. Ultimately supporting young people to have improved educational attainment, tackling educational inequality.
- Build intergenerational friendships and tackle ageism and social isolation through LinkAges.
- Empower young people to develop critical thinking skills and learn about social issues through Inspire, Debate, Change workshops. Civil education to develop active citizenship.
- Train students teams to work on real world briefs which support our partners to meet their member’s needs through the Social Innovation Programme. Ultimately bringing new perspectives, added capacity and community cohesion to their work.
- Support student teams to work with local businesses to create and implement climate action plans through Climate Action Bristol.
Our impact with students
Students who engage in our programmes develop:
- Critical engagement, including an understanding of social issues, and a passion to continue tackling them.
- Wellbeing, including sense of belonging and connection with the university and local communities.
- Skills for life, including confidence, leadership, resilience and teamwork.
- Student experience, including their attainment, retention and progression within higher education.